October 18, 2010
Information that we [herein Google Checkout] collect and how we use it
- Registration information – When you sign up for Google Checkout, we ask for your personal information so that we can provide you with the service. If you register a credit or debit card, the information that we require to register for the service includes your name, credit or debit card number, card expiry date, card verification number (CVN), address, phone number and email address. If you register a Carrier Billing Account, the information that we require to register for the service includes your mobile telephone number, and the name and billing address associated with that number. For sellers, we also require you to provide your bank account number and, in some situations, your personal address, your business category, a government-issued identification number (for example, social security number or taxpayer identification number for US residents) and certain information about your sales or transaction volume. This information allows us to process payments and protect users from fraud. In some cases, we may also ask you to send us additional information or to answer additional questions to help verify your information. The information we collect is stored in association with your Google Account.
- Information obtained from third parties – In order to protect you from fraud or other misconduct, we may obtain information about you from third parties to verify the information you provide. For example, we may use card authorisation and fraud screening services to verify that your credit or debit card information and address match the information that you provided to us. Also, for sellers, we may obtain information about you and your business from a credit bureau or a business information service such as Dun & Bradstreet. . We also may obtain information from third parties in connection with providing Google Checkout to you, such as information from the Carrier in connection with Carrier Billing.
- Transaction information – When you use Google Checkout to conduct a transaction, we collect information about each transaction, including the transaction amount, a description provided by the seller of the goods or services being purchased, the names of the seller and buyer and the type of payment used.
- Information about your use of the service – In order to protect you from fraud, phishing and other misconduct, we may collect information about your interaction with the service to help validate your identity or detect potentially fraudulent conduct. For example, in some circumstances we may try to determine service usage patterns (such as how quickly you type) so that we can try to detect and prevent unauthorised attempts to access your account (such as automated hacking attacks or the use of stolen usernames or passwords). Any such information that we collect will only be used to detect and prevent fraud or other misconduct, unless you explicitly grant us permission to use it in another manner.
- Log information – When you use Google Checkout, our servers automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website. These server logs may include information such as your web request, Internet Protocol address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser.
- User communications – When you send an email or other communication to us, we may retain those communications in order to process your enquiries, respond to your requests and improve our services.
- Links – We may present links in a format that enables us to keep track of whether these links have been followed. We use this information to improve the quality of our search technology, customised content and advertising. For more information about links and redirected URLs, please see our FAQs.